toilet trouble

Old 06-04-02, 12:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
toilet trouble

Summer is here and the half bath down stairs is seeing a lot of action with my kids friends over for swimming fun. The handle is hanging up when flushed and allows the toilet to continue running. My husband usually handles this stuff but work has had him traveling so much that when he is home he is working on the bigger projects. Is this fix something I can do with some basic knowledge as a husband's helper and gopher. It is a pain to remember to check the bath after every use to stop it from continueing to run.

Thanks for all the support you have given us over the years.

Teri (Doug Wife)

Old 06-04-02, 05:07 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Loosen the handle and check the flapper and chain

Not sure what you meant by handle being hung up; I assume the lever handle doesn't go back to it's horizontal position after you press down to flush it.
If it's the case, Open the tank and unscrew a plastic nut that holds the handle. Pull handle out of the hole, clean it well and put it back. Do not overtighten the nut. It'll cause a hang-up too.

If above is not the problem, next place to check is a flapper assembly.
Open the tank and watch as you flush.
Lever lifts the flapper and water gushes out to the toilet bowl.
Toward the end of reaching the bottom(water level), flapper should come back down and close the hole for water to refill instead of constantly running into the bowl.
If flapper doesn't close(majority of problem), usually it's either a chain that connects flapper to lever gets caught up and prevents flapper to close or a flapper itself reached end of its lifecycle.

If this is indeed the problem itself, you can buy and replace a flapper(chain usually comes with it and it's pretty cheap). There is a few different types of flapper so I suggest you shut the water to the tank, remove flapper/chain and take it to Home Depot to find an exact match.

Good Luck!!

Old 06-05-02, 06:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink Thanks

I will clean the handle and try that first. I think that I can do the other if necessary. Appreciate the help.

Teri (Doug's wife)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: