bathroom renovation

Old 06-06-02, 03:50 PM
firsttimer
Visiting Guest
bathroom renovation

Hello everyone.

I have a bathroom and utility room to renovate. The bathroom in particular needs to be gutted and built again from scratch. I've been looking for a contractor to do the job but some of my friends are encouraging me to do the job myself. I don't have any experience in this kind of work but I think I'd enjoy learning. What I do have is lots of time and patience. I'm just afraid that I might end up with a job that doesn't look professional. I'd be interested in getting opinions on this. I'll gut the bathroom myself but do I leave the rest to the pro or attempt it all myself? Or do I do some aspects of the job myself and leave some others to the pro? I'd appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-02, 09:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do it yourself?

Do-It-Yourselfer, Know Thyself
Knowing your limits will save your mind and health
http://www.homestore.com/home_improv...smarts/diy.asp

Old 06-08-02, 12:28 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-doing a bathroom????
Get all the money you think you'll need and then double it. You might have enough cash then!
What all are you wanting to change out? Big difference between changing out a toilet and setting a tub. Let us know what you are planning and we can maybe help you with your decision. Are you moving the location of the services? Are you adding services? Changing from shower to tub? Are you working on a slab or wood floor? Are you changing the room size?

Old 06-10-02, 05:46 AM
firsttimer
Visiting Guest
Thank you, twelvepole and dirty dan, for responding to my request regarding renovating my bathroom. In answer to your questions, dirty dan, I have already gutted the bathroom to the studs so I've done a lot of the grunt work. It was a real mess. Moisture had seeped beneath the tiles in the shower enclosure and rusted some of the metal studs. Right now the bathroom is getting a good airing to clear it of that damp smell. All the services are going to remain where they are although I want to branch off and extend a cold water pipe out to my patio so that I'll have running water there. I am reducing the size of the shower enclosure (from about 5 feet long) to accomodate the addition of a closet accessible from an adjoining room and changing the toilet and sink. The entire shower enclosure will be tiled in ceramics. The walls in the bathroom will be tiled in ceramics up to a height of about 36 inches. The floor is concrete (I live in a condominium) and will be tiled in ceramics as well. I'm adding a bulkhead above the vanity mirror which will accomodate halogen pot lights. I hope this gives you a little more info. Do I just call in a contractor or take a shot at it myself? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 06-10-02, 01:48 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd say that if you're already into it and you have plenty of time... go ahead and give it a shot. From what you day I would guess that if you've never done it before, the tile will cause you the most work. Home Depot sells a book "Tiling 123's" or something with a similar title. It gives very good info. Sounds like the rest is straight up home improvment.

Old 06-10-02, 03:35 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ceramic tile

Go to http://www.doityourself.com/ceramic/ for a start with the ceramic tile work. Make sure you use the recommended concrete underlayment on shower walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: