remove paint from cast iron tub

Old 06-18-02, 01:12 PM
WMB
Visiting Guest
remove paint from cast iron tub

The previous owner of my house painted the bath tub and I was wondering if there is a way to remove the paint without damaging the original glazing of the tub. So far I have been scrapping it off with a razor but it is taking forever.

Old 06-18-02, 06:39 PM
birdofiron
Visiting Guest
the best paint/varnish remover i have ever used is a product called "Dad's".
i have never used it on painted porceline(which is very odd if i do say so myself), but in one or two applications(depending on thickness of the coating) it virtually melted the finish off of wood, metal, fiberglass, and glass...even deep into detail work in an antique pineapple post bed!
read the instructions to see if there are any environmental hazards, but i don't think that it could harm the tub...not any worse than a razor blade. .
it is, or was last time i bought it, hard to find. if you can't find it at the three majors, try at a actual contractors supply store...
they may even have a website?
hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Old 06-18-02, 10:36 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I am assuming you are talking about paint on the outside of the tub? Is it a claw-foot tub? If it is, are you sure there is porcelain under the paint? Most old claw-foot tubs were painted on the outside.

Old 06-19-02, 04:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Removing paint from tub

Depending upon the surface prep and the condition of the tub surface, removing paint may pose additional problems of what to do with the tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: