trim install Q

Old 06-26-02, 09:54 AM
newbie1
Visiting Guest
trim install Q

When I am ready to install new baseboard trim in my bathroom, how do I hammer the nails w/o leaving marks in the wood? Any good tips on this? Also, should I leave a small gap between trim and new ceramic tile?

Thanks>>>!!

Old 06-26-02, 10:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First thing to do is mark all of the stud locations. When you go to hammer the nails, do not hammer them all the way to the wood. Leave them about 1/8 inch above the molding. You them will take something called a 'nail set', put the end of the nail set on the head of the nail and continue to drive them below the surface of the woo about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. If you want to, take a piece of cardboar and put a slit in it. Start the nail and then slip the cardboard over the nail. Hammer the nail down and then remove the cardboard. The cardboard will take any mis-directed hammer blows instead of the wood. After you set all of the nails, it's time to fill them. If you are going to paint the trim, I have found that drywall compound is the easiest filler to use. Put some on a putty knife, or the end of your finger and fill in the hole. After it dries, you can sand it real easily

Old 06-26-02, 10:16 AM
newbie1
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice on that- I like the cardboard tip!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: