tub wall

Old 07-01-02, 06:25 AM
Becky Jane
Visiting Guest
tub wall

The house that we bought has a bathroom that is unfinished. The tub is installed but the wall above it is only sheetrock. We want to put in a preformed tub kit. My question is should the wall behind it be that green waterproof board instead of plain sheetrock.They had start to put ceramic tile on it but we don't want that.

Old 07-01-02, 07:28 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
what does the preform manufact recommend? If the form is water tight as it should be then I would think sheetrock is ok - but not ideal. Good thing they did not finish tiling over sheetrock as that would not have lasted very long - btw since the previous owners demonstrated they did not follow standard procedure for the walls you may want to have someone review the plumbing work that has been done before the walls are closed up. did they get a permit and approvals?

Old 07-01-02, 11:29 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Ask city inspector

What your previous owner did or started to do is against the code here in CA. Pay a visit to the city hall and check with city inspector. I would think that the same applies to your town/state but before you start ripping out the wall, it's worthwhile to check the code first.

Old 07-01-02, 05:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Listen to the above people about the permits and have someone take a look-see.
Green board can be used behind the multi-section tub / shower kits.
When you a talking about tilework, this is where differences arise. If it is where water can stand or directly hit the tile, a concrete board of some type should be used. If it is an area where moisture will be the only problem, usually above the surround areas (5-6 feet and up), greenboard can (CAN) be used as a backer for tile.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing or installing a surround, you should seriously look at repalcing the tub / shower valve. You will never have a better time to do than when the wall is open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: