Toilet flange w/rubber throat-is that all?

Old 07-07-02, 08:52 AM
GreatAlfredini
Visiting Guest
Toilet flange w/rubber throat-is that all?

Hi all, still cleaning up after the bad contractor skipped out on me.

It looks like I may have to replace the toilet flange because I need to remove (break off?) the existing one, put in a new floor, then put on a new flange atop the new floor.

I haven't removed the old flange yet. Does it look to you guys like the "you have to break it off" type that was put in with oakum and lead?

Second question is about the new flange. I see it has a ribbed rubber throat. Does this mean that all I have to do it push it onto the 4-inch cast iron closet bend, and do nothing else to make it water tight? No oakum, no lead, no glue, nothing?

Here are two pics of the two flanges :

Here is the OLD gasket (still in place today)

Here is the NEW gasket (with its ribbed rubber throat in black)

Old 07-07-02, 12:48 PM
GreatAlfredini
Visiting Guest
Re: Toilet flange w/rubber throat-is that all?

I actually just took it off and found it was just a brass flange that had simply been PUT on there!

Nothing to make it watertight, yet no leaks seemed to have happened.

I wonder if the brass and the cast iron eventually would have created that dielectrical problem in the pipes you sometimes hear about.

I can be fairly confident, then, that the one with the rubber throat will be pretty watertight, it seems. If anyone knows better than me (which wouldn't be hard!) please post!

Old 07-07-02, 11:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm not a pro plumber, but the connections on the cast iron drain appear to be ho-hub connectors, which are desgned for that use.
Should be no problem there.
There are some new types of toilet flange seals out now (Fluidmaster and Jedco make them, for instance) that replace the old wax seals.
The new flange appears to be some type (or part of) one of these new seals. Not familiar with it.
The new flange has to sit flush on top of the new floor level, and be bolted to it. Then the toilet is bolted to the flange.
Maybe one of the pro plumbers in here will come along and help you with that flange.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: