tile in bathroom

Old 07-15-02, 10:08 AM
carla dopslauf
Visiting Guest
tile in bathroom

We currently have pink tile in a bathroom. It is on the walls, floors and counter top. I know it would be quite pricy to replace all of this tile. It is in very good shape. However I would like to change it. I once heard there was a paint that could be used on this. What would be the best way to change this tile.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 10:27 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
painting is possible only other option is replacement

Old 07-15-02, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quote is from a post by KeithP

Begin by sanding the tile, then a TSP wash and rinse, let dry really well. Prime with Bullseye 1-2-3, Benjamin Moore Fresh Start, Insl-X Aqua Lock (all 3 are water-based and stick like crazy)...allow 24 hours to cure, then paint/technique. Inside the shower itself, if you must paint, use an oil paint for best water-shedding ability.
hope this helps, haven't had a chance to do this yet, so please post and let us know your success and tips/tricks you learn along the way, please!

-Kay

Old 07-15-02, 08:00 PM
Married only to a house!
I have heard both good and bad about the reglazing companies. Two quoted me $675 and $800 to reglaze my tub, six foot shower surround and four foot walls in my 5'x8' bathroom. Both offered a 10 year warranty.

Old 07-16-02, 11:32 AM
the tiles in my bathroom are the basic white, with what looks like yellow in them. the pevious owner took two rows out around the tub and replaced them with very dark blue tiles (they appear to almost be black). We repainted the walls and trim so the small room would be bright and airy.

as i posted above, i haven't begun painting the tiles, however, to make the darker tiles 'blend' a little i used them as frames and put decals in those tiles. this could be a possibility for you, to use what you have and add to..?

eventually i will sand all the tiles, replace those needing replacement, regrout, etc. then paint a more suitable color onto the tiles. i can't afford to have them reglazed or to replace all of them (the tiles cover almost all of 3 walls), nor do i have the time or skills to do that type job myself. painting seems the logical answer for me.

kay