Bathtub installation

Old 07-15-02, 02:20 PM
phild
Visiting Guest
Bathtub installation

Just bouoght a new Neptune tub for installation in a 5 foot space. We have torn the current space down to the studs. The tub has no obvious way to attach to the studs. Am I required to build a "shelf" around the tub for it to sit on, or can I screw through the tub lip into the studs before installing durock and tiling? The tub comes with a "tile flange". I take it that I tile my own plywood and screw it into the flange. How does the flange attach to teh tub?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 02:46 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
what is a nepture tub? did it come with instructions? what does it say. Standard cast iron tub is not really attached to the walls per se

Old 07-15-02, 04:08 PM
phild
Visiting Guest
Sorry for the vagueness. Neptune is just the brand name - it's an acrylic airjet tub, and there are no instructions! The edges of the tub flange downwards, and in most pictures the tub seems to sit on a ledge on two or more sides. I don't really have room for that. Can I screw through the acrylic into the studs and then put up durock and tiles? It's not clear what I do with the front side of the tub, for which they have provided a "tile flange" but again, no instructions.

Thanks alot.

Old 07-16-02, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From your description of your tub's flange, it sounds as if it should have some type of horizintal proprietary bracket which screws to the stud wall to receive the back lip of the tub. Assuming the lip of both ends of the tub extend up, they would be drilled to accept screws into the studs.

Old 07-16-02, 03:40 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Proper support

The conventional way is to build a horizontal support around tub edges for a tub to sit on; however, you should remember that the weight of a tub should NOT be supported by tub lips!!
You need to pour a mortar underneath the tub to build a mortar bed to support the weight of tub, water & people.
Lips are not strong enough to support all 3 sources of weight.
Since you have a tile flange, screwing it to the studs may be acceptable pending the tub itself is properly supported from the bottom.
Good luck.