Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What type of mortar bed for fiberglass one-piece shower?

Old 07-15-02, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am about to install a one piece 36x60 Lasco Shower 1603-SG Here is a link for those who care in a new second story bathroom. I have 3/4 plywood subfloor on 2x10 joists. Should I double up on the plywood subfloor under the shower? What mortar product do I use as a bed to pour under the shower? Which technique do I use? I had planned on pouring a circle-like line of mortar on the 3/4" subfloor and setting the shower on it, is this ok?

Thanks guys,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-02, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used a non-expanding insulation foam to firm up under a fibreglas tub installation recently. Much simpler than morter and made the bottom of the tub quite rigid.

Old 07-16-02, 03:48 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking You're in the right direction

I second Thiggy's opinion that foam is much simpler and easier to apply than mortar, no doubt. It's bit more pricy as well.
I used a cheap 50 lb bags of 'gray mortar' for my tub. You might want to rent a portable concrete mixer or to buy a mixer attachment for your drill to make mixing job a bit easier.
What I did was I built a form around a tub and pour mixed mortar right in. You have good 6 hrs to lay your tub before it starts hardening.
Little messier than foam support, but a lot cheaper.....take your pick.