Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Installing a Moen single handle shower only valve?

Installing a Moen single handle shower only valve?

Old 07-18-02, 06:11 AM
rgrogan
Visiting Guest
Question Installing a Moen single handle shower only valve?

This is a new installation not a replacement.

I have valve installed per instructions in box, however now I ready too install shower surrround. No where have I found any instructions on what size of clearance hole I need to cut in surround. I know that the shower head stub hole should be just slightly larger than the pipe, but what about around the valve. Is the valve clearance hole supposed to be the same size as the plaster ground piece?

Also, the instructions say to remove and discard the plaster ground piece, but this then leaves a gap between the escutcheon plate and the mounting tabs on the valve. The escutcheon plate seems very flexible, will it not distort or buckle when attaching to valve? How tight should these screws be? Will the little rib of rubber around escutcheon plate be sufficient to seal the plate to the surround or should I ad a bead of caulk also?

Old 07-18-02, 08:16 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Caulk

Access hole for the diverter valve should be slightly less than the size of the face plate.
You don't want to overtighten the faceplate to the valve, it will warp easily.
The method to make it water-tight is simply applying a continuous bead of sillicon caulk around the inner edge of the plate so than it will 'squeez and seal' when you tighten the bolts.
Then, Run another bead of caulk around the outer edge of the plate after it's bolted in. You don't generally have to worry about bolt holes; but you can apply a little amound of caulk under bolt heads to seal the gap if you want.

Old 07-18-02, 10:28 AM
rgrogan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info masterjoe.

Also how critical is the valve dimension to the finished surface?

As I had not purchased the plywood or surround/pan yet, I used 3/8" dimension(previous shower had 3/8" plywood) plus 1/16" for the plastic sheet material when installing the valve. I had not realized the plywood standards had changed. I could only find 11/32" plywood. I knew that the surround material is 1/16" or less, from the display at ACE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: