Toilet running when I shut the faucet off

Old 07-20-02, 02:59 PM
Nohandyman
Visiting Guest
Toilet running when I shut the faucet off

When I turn my kitchen faucet off, the toilet in my bathroom upstairs seem to fill up for 1 second or 2. I noticed that there was water was running slowly in the toilet bowl on a regular basis. This seems to have happened since a contractor I hired installed a bathroom in my basement. Should I replace the flapper? I am not sure I understand the relationship between turning the faucet off and my toilet acting up. Anyone?

Old 07-20-02, 07:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Plumbing problems

It may be a result of the way the new toilet in the basement is vented or not vented. I live in a rental where the toilet in the laundryroom was not vented. Any time water is run anywhere in the house or when a toilet is flushed or washer drains, all the drains and the other toilet gurgle and make noise.

Old 07-20-02, 08:21 PM
Nohandyman
Visiting Guest
I am not sure whether the bathroom is vented or not. I know it has an exhaust, but I have this feeling that this is not what vented means. Can you explain in more detail what vented vs. not vented means and how we can find out if it is vented or not?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-02, 09:13 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 07-21-02, 04:43 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello,Take the lid off the tank and see if the water is still running in the tank when full. The float may need adjustment or the valve could be worn out. A change in pressure (when you turn on the kitchen faucet) Could cause the toilet to turn on.If that is the case replace the valve.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-22-02, 06:25 PM
Nohandyman
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for the help. I had to know if it was the flapper, so I switched flappers between my upstairs and downstairs bathroom and the bathroom upstairs stopped running, and it is the one downstairs that started. I bought a 97c flapper and I replaced the old one which after inspection turned out to be slightly warped/bent out of shape. It is now officially not running anymore. Yeah!

Thanks a lot about all the advice you all gave me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: