ceramic towel & tp holder removal

Old 07-22-02, 10:13 AM
mouseface2
Visiting Guest
Question ceramic towel & tp holder removal

I want to remove a ceramic towel and toilet paper holder to change for something a little nicer. I can't figure out how it is mounted in order to get it off. It is mounted to drywall.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-22-02, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it looks like it is just caulked in place, it kinda is. Look at the bottom of the holders and using a small screw driver, dig around a little bit. Use a utility knife with a new blade and cut the caulking around the sides and top (about 1/4 to 1/2 deep into the space between the wall and the ceramic holder).
Lift straight up on the holder and you will find a little steel slide like plate on the wall being held by 2 screws.
Holder just slides onto this plate and the caulk bonds it together and to the wall.

Now, go forth and conquer...

Have fun and any questions, just ask away, someone will answer you.

Old 07-23-02, 12:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can tell you how mine were attached.
I have floor to ceiling ceramic tile so there is a chance mine is very different, but I figure I'll warn you as to what I experienced.

My ceramic towel holders looked like they had just been grouted to the tile behind it. I cut the grout and it still wasn't budging. After much banging around I managed to pop the holder off and what I found was a bit surprising

A hole had been cut in the ceramic tile behind and a plug (a bit bigger in diameter than a quarter) was attached to the holder. This plug inserted into that hole in the ceramic tile and back through the cement board. I ended up repairing the cement board and putting a new tile in it's place.

Hopefully, since it's drywall, it will just be a metal bracket as notuboo described. Thought I'd warn you there could be a chance you'd find a hole instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: