I'm in shape, round is a shape, isn't it?

Old 10-26-12, 10:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm in shape, round is a shape, isn't it?

Joking aside, about a year ago I switched from one job to another. Both jobs involve driving around to sites, but the former worked on computer software and hardware problems, while the current one focuses on network cabling and telecom closets.

A few months after starting the new job I also started bringing my lunch probably about four days a week, sometimes managing to bring it all five. I bring two slices of wheat bread, several cut slices of deli meat like ham, turkey, roast beef, whatnot, an apple or an orange, two 12oz cans of Mountain Dew (contrasted with the one or two 64 ounce refills I used to get daily) some granola bars for lunch or snacking, sometimes a pudding cup or chips. I also bring a couple of bottles of water.

I drink one of the 12oz sodas in the morning in lieu of coffee and the other typically with lunch. If I get hungry before lunch I may have one of the granola bars, and if I expect the day to run late I'll keep a granola bar for later in the day.

In the last several months I've probably lost about ten pounds. I sometimes can't help but get lunch out if I get tired of what I bring, but I'm eating out far less than before. It's not only seemingly help me lose weight, but significantly saving money as well.

For me, the only way to really lose weight is to both increase activity and to improve what I eat, either eating less or else eating more nutritious and less caloric food. It's not easy, but it's helping.

Old 10-26-12, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I had tried several different diets without much luck until I tried the Atkins diet. That was where you reduced your carbs intake sharply and increased fat. I lost a lot of weight on that system until I fell off a ladder and was incapacitated for almost a year. I ended up putting a lot back on. I did notice that activity and exercise has a lot to do with weight control. I also had bought one of those ab roller devices and followed the program. It was very effective. It fell apart and I didn't replace it. I think it's time again.

And yes.......round is a shape.

Old 10-27-12, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
TWX, we do the same thing. Some time back we (crew) would eat out every day. Well that was expensive and really not all that healthy, as the food we ate was sometimes fast food. So we changed and everyone brings their lunch, except on Friday. That's our "go-out-to-eat" day. We do quite a bit of physical labor, so the exercise thing is built into the job. Reducing our fatty intake has helped us all to be a little more healthy. That's not to say we have lost weight, nor was that our intent. Mainly eating healthier foods, which kept us from becoming complete beach balls. One of my younger guys says "peanut butter and jelly is a food group, right?" That and Red Bull, I guess. He's young, he'll learn.

Old 10-27-12, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's funny how when I was young, I could eat all day long and stayed skinny. In my 20's I'd bring 5 sandwiches to work and would still get something off of the 'roach coach' if it came by. Now I only eat a fraction of what I used to but have to watch what I eat to keep my weight to a reasonable level. Before I had to retire, I had a doctor tell me I needed to exercise. My response was I'm pretty active with the work I do. He claimed work wasn't exercise. I threatened to kidnap him and have him follow me around for a day.... I guess being on your feet all day, climbing up and down ladders is more recreation than exercise

Old 11-16-12, 07:51 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I for one still eat like I'm in my 20's. I don't eat out as much due to costs, but still don't watch what I eat close enough. The only that has saved me is how I eat. I eat often, but small portions.
I'm also very active outside of work, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

What has worked for some of the guys I mtn bike and kayak with is eating often and small portions of fruits and veggies while drinking plenty of water during the day.
Fruits and veggies being mostly water, will still make you feel full, but will go right through you.

I've also heard people say that your meal sizes should start with a large breakfast, and gradually get smaller through out the day. This in therory would allow you to burn off your meals throughout the day, with dinner being the smaller of the bunch.

Eating out all the time can and will kick the crap out of you. I went up almost 40lb in 5 weeks while out of town for work. The bacon, sausage and eggs every morning really caught up to me. I was however still really active during that time, so the weight gain wasn't all negative.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: