Back to square 1 on window choice...

Old 08-09-02, 07:06 AM
bkent
Visiting Guest
Back to square 1 on window choice...(pictures)

Need to figure out what to do with above porch. After looking at the framing of the windows, my buddy told me that it would be much easier to get 1 window to replace 2 of the small current square windows.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to just pull off all the interior trim and run screen around it, then put up new interior trim thus making a screened in room.

So in doing 3' wide and 4' tall windows casements are too expensive for this porch, I don't see a use in double hung, I don't think that single hung provide enough air flow. What do I do?

Last edited by bkent; 08-09-02 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-09-02, 07:29 AM
bkent
Visiting Guest
Forgot to mention the reason I'm worried about screen is my dog (german shepard) will most likely destroy it if I ever leave him in there.

Old 08-09-02, 10:12 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
Here's an option - triple track storm windows can be custom ordered to fit just about any opening.

I would remove the windows to the rough frameing - including the horizontal divider. I would then case the rough framing (make sure the openings are square) with pine where the vertical jamb would ordinarily be and continue around on both the inside and outside of the porch with casing. You will beed to install a sill which you can make out of 5/4 pine. then, take some 1/2 x 1/2 or 3/4 pine and put up as blind stop into which you can screw the triple track windows. The windows are ordered after you measure the finish case openings.

Still only like a double hung window but considerably cheaper and very serviceable.

Old 08-09-02, 11:07 AM
bkent
Visiting Guest
That's perfect! Keeps my cost down, plenty of airflow, and I could leave the top part open and leave the dog in there without fear of him breaking the screen! You are the man! I called lowes and for a 36" x 47" tall triple track its only 47.83! that means instead of spending 1400 for casements I can spend $350 for triple track, and still get all the use I want to get out of the porch!

Thank you so much!

Old 08-09-02, 02:37 PM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
Slow down a bit - you still have to figure the casing pine and sills but if you take your time and do it correctly it will look great. My dad has a porch enclosed like this for the past 20 years and it still looks good

Good luck

Old 08-09-02, 07:17 PM
bkent
Visiting Guest
Dave I don't even get possesion of the house for 2 weeks, I've just been pulling my hair out trying to decide what to do. A guy I work with framed houses for 4 years prior to working with me, and he does additions/siding/windows on the side for disposable income. I'm going to get help every step of the way, just needed and idea (thank you) for a launching point.

I went and measured today (the house is vacant) and the sash to sash measurement's aren't the same. How will I get the casing pine to work out? I'm assuming I want to frame all the windows to the same dimensions and then buy standard windows, or would I just want to just buy special order storms?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: