Replacement or New?

Old 08-24-02, 11:28 PM
emriddler
Visiting Guest
Question Replacement or New?

I am considering residing my house and replacing the windows. I want to go with vinyl siding. I presently have shingles that will I will remove prior to residing. I will be doing all work myself with help from others.

My plan is as follows (working one side of the house at a time:

1. Remove old siding.
2. Wrap house/undelayment.
3. Replace windows
4. Put on new vinyl siding.

I am thinking that I will use new construction window instead of vinyl. That way I won't have to wrap the exterior molding (just use the vinyl j-channel, which would save me time as well as frustration from not being a sheetmetal worker!) I realize that I will have to replace the inside molding (I want to anyway). Can anyone tell me why I should not do this? I understand that I can even buy new construction windows with J-channel molded in.

Thanks in advance for you insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-02, 07:21 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
No reason not to go the route you picked unless the rough openings for your existing windows would have to be modified greatly to fit the new construction windows. You could go ahead and pull some of the inside trim to see what the existing RO actually is for ordering the new windows. If you can't get a new construction window that will fit without getting into changing headers and studs, then I would go custom replacements.

The built in J channel on new construction windows is NICE, and you can figure it's worth $6-7/window just in what it saves in J channel, not counting the time to put it up.

The one thing I do like to do with that type window ( or even if you install a window with field applied J channel) is use some building felt paper ( tarpaper) or the newer rubber membrane stuff they have out now, and lay a piece of it in the rough opening before installing the window, with 6-8" of it hanging down below the window. Then, as you install your siding, the couse of siding that comes closest up under the window, take the felt and lay it on top the nailing flange of the siding before installing the course that covers it. This way, any water that gets in the top and sides of the J channel will run on the felt and out over that siding ( it will actually appear to seep from under the siding) rather than running down in behind the siding and rot out your sheathing.

I started doing this after some doing some remodeling jobs where siding w/J channel I was taking down and observing how much water had gotten behind the siding over the years....especially on gable ends with little or no roof overhang to protect it. The J channel acts as a gutter, and the water often goes behind the siding right at the bottom of the J.

Old 08-25-02, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Andy might be talking about them, but I have seen vinyl windows that are built for vinyl siding. They have there own flange on the outside edge of the window so the siding fits underneath. A lot less work and easier for us DIY's. Might check it out.