sash window adjustment

Old 11-17-02, 06:43 AM
nckrukow
Visiting Guest
sash window adjustment

I have sears vinyl replacement window. they are the kind that tilt out to clean. in the winter they never shut. the top and bottom wont move up enough for me to latch it. Is there an adjustment for this. It is starting to get cold here and my windows are getting condenstation.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-02, 11:12 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
How long have the windows been in your house ? and did you have the work done ?

Have they always done this ?

Do ALL of them do this or just one or two ?

A quick suggestion would be to check the locks....are you SURE you don't have the lock cam ( the thing you flip around to lock it) around in the lock position ( that would be around to the left on every vinyl window I've ever seen ) and trying to close the windows ? Don't laugh....it's a simple mistake that I've seen people make.......make sure the lock cam is flipped to the right...on both IF you have double locks....

Old 11-17-02, 11:28 AM
nckrukow
Visiting Guest
sash adjustment vinyl window

Thanks for the reply, ive had these 11 years, they all do it.
you cant bring the bottom down far enough to latch the latch
someone told me there are adjustments to something in the inside of the window. theyve always done this

Old 11-17-02, 11:56 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
So you've put up with this for 11 years ??? wow....

OK....I don't know of anything that you can "adjust"....there is an ajustment if the sashes won't stay up on their own ( a spring tension adjustment) , but that's it.....

How much do the sashes lack in order to close enough to lock ? Are we talking several inches or just a fraction of an inch more you need ?

Old 11-17-02, 06:15 PM
nckrukow
Visiting Guest
tell me more about spring adjustment. it is about half to 3/4 of an inch. before i had a man to use his brute strength to beat the heck out of it so I could latch it. now the man is gone and im not strong

thanks for trying

Old 11-17-02, 07:45 PM
Lucky13
Visiting Guest
You may have answered this in your first post but I want to make sure. When you attempt to lock the sash, is the top sash as far "up" as it will go? Weak balances may cause the top sash to drop down a little and create the problem you describe. How many windows are doing this?

Old 11-18-02, 03:30 AM
nckrukow
Visiting Guest
the top sash will not go up far enough to latch it what is a balance and is there an adjustment all of my windows do it if they were opened in the spring. I have 5 of them, and one i never open so it is the only one without the problem a window should not be this hard to close right?

thanks lucky 13 hope i get lucky and you can help me

Old 11-18-02, 03:30 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I don't think it's the spring adjustment anyway......What Lucky said is true, but it's just a matter of pushing the upper sash up a little bit if thats the case......and you wouldn't have every one of the windows doing this from day one.....

Do this.....push the lower sash down as far as it will go on a window you can go outside on and see where the sash meets the sill. Then go outside and look at it.....is either the left or right of the sash bottom meeting the vinyl sill and the other side is up a 1/2" or so ? In other words, does it look like the sash is not level to the sill ?

About the ONLY problem I ever encounter with hard to lock vinyl windows is if they are installed out of square and the procedure above will check for that.