Storm Windows

Old 11-22-99, 02:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm in need of help repairing older aluminum storm windows and frames.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-99, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not sure what may be wrong with the storm windows. If they need new screens, that would be easy to fix since the screen material can be removed by removing the rubber keeper and inserting new screen material and reinserting the rubber keeper. Screen cloth can be purchased from any supplier of building materials.

If the frame itself is coming apart, it may be time to replace the aluminum storm windows. Don't throw them out because the aluminum is worth money at the junk yard (I get .37 per pound when I bring aluminum building materials to the junk yard.)

If the storm window is falling off the window, it could be for two reasons: 1) you may be missing some screws that hold in in place and that could be fixed by simply adding the screws back. or 2) the screws holding the storm window in place may not be holding because the window frame itself is rotting out. If this is the case, the whole window should be replaced.

Just a word of caution regarding vinyl windows. If you have windows with vinyl covering on the outside, check with the manufacturer before you install storm windows of any kind because sometimes when you put a storm window on windows whose exterior is vinyl it will cause the vinyl to fail and the warranty on the windows may be dropped.

Clifford A. Olson
AC Home Inspector
http://www.caolson.com/ac-home-inspector