leaking windows


Old 11-22-99, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I just noticed "coffee cup sized rings" around the edges of my window. They are on the bottom right and left corners. Now there is obviously a leak somewhere. Where do I begin to look. It is a second floor window so I am assuming I need to get out the extension ladder. YIKES (not to keen on heights) Could it be a seal(caulking of some sort)around the window? If so do I have to remove the old sealant or can I just go over it again. Would like to get some ideas before I set out to do this project this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-99, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Karen, If these are indeed 'rings', it sounds like someone did indeed set a coffee cup or glass there. The culprit is not owning up to it.

A second possibility is that moisture is condensing on the window and pooling in those spots. Is this a bathroom window? Have you been running a humidifier in there? Its also possible the seal is broken on the window.
Old 12-06-99, 04:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hi Karen, I will asume you have metal windows or plastic ones, you do not always have to get the ladder out to check if your window opens out then you can open it to have a look outside at the seals between the frame and the wall, if you window has a cill under it made of the same material, ie metal or plastic, then there is a posibility that the ends of the cill are not sealed and the wind is keeping the water in this area and the water is soaking into the plasterwork, this is not an easy one to repair but can be done but you need to have a dry day to do it, first with a 5mm drill bit in a drill you need to drill a hole on the edge of the frame at the btm corners, at the point where the frame meets the cill as close to the corner as posible now using a translucent or cleart silicone place the nozzel into the end of the hole you just drilled and squeeze as much in as you can get clean off any excess that may spill out, ok if that is not the problem check the seal along the outer edge of the frame and inner edge of the outside wall if you see cracks in the sealent
then this should be resealed, it is better to remove the old sealent first before applying the new, although depending on how your feeling at the time you can seal over the top, but not recommended!!! ok when you reseal the frame to the wall the depth of the seal should equal the width of the seal, ie if the width of the seal, ie the face of the seal is 10mm which is recommended then the depth of the seal should also be 10mm recommended a kaulk should not be used as this an interior sealent which is like a decoraters kaulk which is not waterproof, ask your local supplier for details on the best sealent to use, if you can get an Arbocrilic sealent which is by far the best for external sealing of metal frames, but not for plastic as the arbocrilic reacts to the plastic over time ok now you have resealed the frame but the damp penetration still continues, thyink about fitting a lead tray under the cill but this requires a bit of exspertise to do, the water could also be coming down from the top but is not noticed because it is running down the side of the frame in the channels that you cant see, check the side of the window higher up especially where the frame fixing are if there are tell tale signs that there is damp penetration at these points then check the external wall above or the eaves or roof for any broken or missing slates replace if nessesary .....
I hope that this helps, Handyman
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: