double hinge windows


Old 12-21-99, 03:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have double hinged windows, both the top and bottom can be opened by sliding vertically. Problem is that rain drips down the top panel onto the bottom then fills the seal on the bottom panel. You guessed it, then the water comes inside and falls on the window sash. Is there any hope in stopping this short of having to replace thousands of dollars in windows? Any advice and or tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-99, 04:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hi, well I will take it that the windows are metal, and that the hinges are on the side of the sash at the tops with the handle at the bottom on each sash and when you open the sash it moves outwards at the bottom and slides downwards as it moves outwards on its hinges, hopefully this is the type of window that you have, what we would call a double top hung opener ie one window above the other, well if this is the case then there is a solution to your problem you have to fit a weather trim firstly above the top opener on the main part of the window ie not on the sash, this is a trim that is especially designed with a top sloping edge to allow the water to run off and away from the top of the top sash it should be at least 2/8" or 7mm bigger than the width of the top sash, when fitted you should run a small silicone bead between the weather trim and the mainframe to stop water seeping between the two, that is the top sash sorted out, now with the same type of weather trim cut to the size of the width of your sash No bigger externally, now this is fitted to the bottom of the top sash, yes fit it to the sash, again putting a bead of silicone sealant between the weather trim and the sash to stop water seepage, now when it rains the weather trim moves the water away from the bottom of the top sash and away from the top of the bottom sash, you can get these trims from your local window manufacturer they are normally screwed on to the windows so you will also need a drill and a bit to suit the size screw you will use again your local window company can supply you with the fixings you require and tell you the size of the bit required to fit them, I hope that this helps a little. Handyman

Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: