door saddle setting

Old 11-24-02, 11:24 AM
Mombo
Visiting Guest
door saddle setting

My steps are setting on the right side a bit. I just installed a brand new Pella storm door. I got a brass "expander" thingy with a lil rubber strip on the bottom; says to use this to seal up the bottom of the door from drafts. Only problem is in this 32" width of the bottom of the storm door. the right side is .5 in from threshhold, and the other side it 2.5" from threshhold. This is caused by the steps settling on one side. This threshhold is made of wood. Can I not just add a 2x4 cut at an angle to bring it up level to within 3/8 to1/2" from bottom of storm door, then put that expander thingy on and everything gonna be hunkey dorey from there? Please advise... thanks. BTW, I also have a 36" aluminum threshhold in the back of me truck but figure wood would work better. How can I angle it towards the step so there is not such a "hump" to pull a dolly over or dont want no one to trip and bust their ass all to hell either...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-02, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that your current threshold falls 2 inches from one end to the other? Are the steps settling and pulling the floor of the house with them?

I agree that you have a substantial trip hazard. It may be prudent to repair and align the steps first, and install the threshold once the floor and steps are on the same level so that the threshold will sit on the floor and the steps. At least within the thickness of the base under the threshold.

Once the steps and floor are in alignment, then you can install the threshold and the sweep for the bottom of the door to seal against drafts. This would eliminate the risk of tripping because the offset would be little. At least this is not the front door.

Old 11-24-02, 09:27 PM
Mombo
Visiting Guest
actually, this IS our front door. I guess I'll wait until spring and then re-level the steps. They are in good shape so they shouldnt bust all to hell. Im not sure of the most economical way to do this? Perhaps have a step/contractor come in with a truck that has a boom and a lift on it to gently pull the steps back away from the house and then what would I use to build it up where they once sat? should it be framed in and concrete poured so they dont settle again? Thanks