pocket doors and bi-fold doors

Old 01-18-00, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

can anyone tell me how to repair an already installed pocket door? Can anyone explain to me the basics of purchasing and installing a bi-fold door? [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Rebecca, most pocket doors hang from wheeled brackets on the top. These wheels have probably just slipped out of the track. Try to maneuver them back in the track, and see if that is the problem. For bi-folds, you just need to measure the opening (height and width) and buy a set to fit. To install, you will need to install the metal strip across the top of the frame for the guide wheels to roll in. There will be adjustable (with screws) plastic pieces near both sides for the spring-loaded top pins in the doors to set in. There will be brackets for the adjustable bottom pins at the base of the doors at both sides. These need to be screwed to the frame and to the floor (over carpet or directly to wood floor), making sure that they are plumb and inline with the top bracket. Assuming that you are talking about wooden bi-folds, they may need to be sawn off across the bottom (use a fine tooth blade in a skillsaw, such as for paneling), if they are too tall. If you have to saw them off, you will probably have to redrill the hole deeper in the bottom of the doors for the pins to fit (remove plastic sleeves first). The top pins are spring-loaded and the bottom pins screw up and down to adjust doors. Once you get the doors hung, you just have to keep playing with the adjustments to get them straight, matching and closing properly. Take a good look at a set of bi-folds at the building supply, and you'll see all of the pieces parts that I described. You'll need a measuring tape,drill and bits, screwdriver, and maybe a saw. Give it a shot. Good luck.