Do I still need storms with Tilt Packs?

Old 02-07-00, 10:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm thinking of installing tilt pack windows in my 1920's-built home. This is probably a dumb question, but will I still need storm windows and screens after I install the tilt packs? I live in Minnesota and really need screens in the summertime - because of the mosquitos.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-00, 12:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure of what you're calling "tilt packs". Send me a description and I can help.

Old 02-07-00, 02:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, I take it your talking about tilt and turn windows, the type that tilt in at the top when wanted but can be opened fully when required and they open into the house and not outwards, any window that opens will alowe the flies in, so yes you will still require fly screens, these can be fitted to the outside as a permenent fixture on this type of window as they dont open outwards but inwards, as to storm shutters, although this type of window are very secure when closed if the area you live in is prone to big storms then it would still be advisable to fit these they are also extra security for you at night and when you go on vacation, but before you replace your exsisting windows check with your local building regulations as to wether or not you are allowed to replace these with modern vyinl windows as the building may have restrictions imposed due to its age and historical importance, I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 02-08-00, 03:39 AM
Visiting Guest
MBaker:
Tilt in windows automatically come with screens. No, you do not need storm windows.
I live in an adjoining State to you and have them in my home. These vinyl windows are the best thing that has happened to windows in a long time. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-08-00, 11:04 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks everyone for your help.