front door striker plate problem

Old 01-29-00, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
help
I have a front door ( steel) that will open on it's own. I have found the door open several times. It seems that the door or frame has shrunk in the cold weather and the striker plate does not line up ????

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-00, 09:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Sometimes even prehung doors from the distributor come this way. Fear not, there is a solution.

With the door closed but not latched (with the latch bolt still showing) take note of where the centerline would be in relation to your strike plate. The strike plate needs to go up or down depending where the latch bolt strikes.

Take a #2 phillips screwdriver and remove the two screws that hold the strike plate on. Move it up or down as earlier determined. Mark where you will probably have to chisel a small amount of wood from you door jamb. Pre-drill a new screw hole if you think you need to. Replace the two screws and check the door.

9 out of 10 times this works. If not, you'll have to move the strike plate forward or backward in the same manner.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited January 30, 2000).]

Old 01-29-00, 09:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Sometimes even prehung doors from the distributor come this way. Fear not, there is a solution.

With the door closed but not latched (with the latch bolt still showing) take note of where the centerline would be in relation to your strike plate. The strike plate needs to go up or down depending where the latch bolt strikes.

Take a #2 phillips screwdriver and remove the two screws that hold the strike plate on. Move it up or down as earlier determined. Mark where you will probably have to chisel a small amount of wood from you door jamb. Pre-drill a new screww hole if you think you need to. Replace the two screws and check the door.

9 out of 10 times this works. If not, you'll have to move the strike plate forward or backward in the same manner.

Good luck.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO

Old 02-12-00, 02:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Before I would adjust the strike plate do this first.

Close the door all the way. Step back and look to see if the door is sagging down. The best way to check this is by looking at the door's top jamb. If the top of the door and the jamb do not have a parallel gap between them then your top door hinge needs to be reset or replace.

If you not sure the door is sagging by looking up above then look at the threshold. This is the metal strip you step over when you enter through the door. If the door is dragging there will be scrap marks on the threshold and on the edge of the door near the top.

So many times folks move the strike plate up and down but it is not the correct fix. Due to the doors weight and it's constant use the hinges have a tentancy to pull away from the jamb. Knowing that you have a steel door I say it's possible the door is to heavy to be supported by the hardware that is on it.

I do tons of door repairs and I see this all the time.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-00, 02:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi well the second answer you had is more correct than the first, but not totally, when you say the door is metal is it steel as sugested or is it a modern aluminium door, I will asume that it is aluminium, modern doors and windows do exspand and shrink in the heat and cold, the weight of these doors are carried on the glass and not all on the hinges as suggested,if it is a modern door then it has to be retoe and heeled as we call it here, first you have to remove the rubber seals from the retaining beads then remove the beads, this then exsposes the edges of the glass, packers are placed at certain points between the glass and the door frame at the top as the packers push the glass down the door jamb moves upwards so realigning the latch and the strike plate,if you require more detailed info on this and how to check the door for alignment then feel free to email me, I am the manager for a local window and door company here in the UK and I work with these problems every day, I hope this helps a little, Hnadyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!