Expanding and existing closet

Old 02-11-00, 04:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help!
My husband and I would like to expand an existing closet and have no idea where to start. The closet is very wide and only has one door to access the space, making it difficult to get to 3/4 of our clothes. We'd like to remove part of the existing wall and add folding or sliding doors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-00, 02:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

The framing in the wall of your closet door should just be 2X4's on 16" centers. Remove the existing doorframe. Make sure that there are no electrical lines in wall (light switch or outlets)that you need to remove. Determine whether you want sliding doors or a set of bifolds, and see what dimensions are required for the roughin. Cut back the sheetrock and wall studs (reciprocating saw)to get this opening (you will need to frame out the top and sides of this opening after you remove enough to get your door roughin dimensions...take a look at how the existing door is framed and do it that way). Redo sheetrock to fit around the new doorframe, install the door, trim out. Good Luck!

Old 02-13-00, 03:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Just a quick word of caution!!! just to be on the safe side check that the stud work uprights ie the 2x4's are not supporting something else above before you start cutting,I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 02-13-00, 05:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you Handyman and Oldguy! The information will be very helpful! Have a nice day!
~Fuzzicatz