Problems with Aluminum Sliding Glass Doors

Old 02-15-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Please help with Sliding Glass doors. Many Problems.

Problem 1: How do I replace "furry" weather stripping? Air appears to be getting in around the seals when the door is closed. Glass is also single pane.

Problem 2: Lots of radient heat is let in during 10 month Houston summer. Doors are Southwest Facing and get full sun 13-15 hours per day. I would like to kill the idiot who installed these things. What is the best insulating solution: External screens, Reflective films, Internal Verticle Blinds?

Problem 3: I may replace the patio doors next year. What doors should I use? Willing to change door style for low maintenance and energy efficiency.

All help will be appreciated.

Waycliff.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Waycliff:
I'm a former Texan (native), and I know that sun well! Problem 1. Check with door manufacturer or a building supply to get like-kind new self-adhesive weather stripping. Scrape off the old, on with the new. Problem 2. I don't think that screens would do much, but the reflective film and interior drapes (more so than blinds)would help reduce the radient heat. Problem 3. Andersen and others make insulated sliders and French doors with a selection of low-e glass and gas fill (argon, etc.) which will solve your longterm problem. I think that it would pay you to replace what you have sooner rather than later. My mother and sister live in Galveston, and it do get a little scorchy down there. :-)

Old 02-16-00, 05:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi waycliff, well first of all you might not need to replace the whole patio door to make them work better, first the weather strip or polypile as it is known can be replaced by removing the sliding panel from off the runners, to do this check up inside the channel the top of your door slides in to make sure that there are no antilift blocks fitted if they are fitted unscrew them and remove now open the sliding panel to the middle of the patio opening and with a second person lift the door up and swing the bottom of the panel out lay this down and replace the pile, the fixed lite will pull out when you remove the threshold and undo the bracket that holds the panel in, now pull it towards the locking style then remove totally, do the same with the polypile on this door, now as to the heat transferrence problem, I will assume that the patio is what is called a wrap around section ie the top and bottom metal strips are knocked on the glass and then the sides are knocked on and then screwed to the top and bottom sections, if this is the case you can buy new glass units in double glazing by buying new gasketts, ie the rubber seal that sits between the glass and the metal sections measure the original glass size now make sure you can get the glazing gaskett from your local glass company first for the thickness of the double glass panels you want to install, the glass must be a safty glass and not a plate glass, now chose the glass you want to reduce the heat transferance ie like bronze antisun which is a common one here, again you can have it gas filled as well this reduces the heat that gets through the glass also if you have one pane of the double glazed unit in a laminate this glass stops your carpets and furniture from fading in the sunlight, but you would be wise to get a glass company rep to measure the new units for you and let you know if the gaskett is available there to do the change from single to double glass, it is here as we change single to double quite often, also if they measure the new units and get it wrong they foot the bill for the remake not you, whilst the doors are off and you have replaced the glass check the wheels and service or replace them if need be, these sliding doors will last up to 30/40 years if looked after and can save you money on replacement doors for a few more years, if you want more info email me with your question, I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 02-16-00, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hey Handyman and Oldman:

Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it is going. Must hope to finish before the beginning of the Texas summer, which could be any day now.

Waycliff

Old 02-16-00, 05:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Old Guy's advice is better than Handyman's. If you do what Handyman suggests you'll be throwing your money away and it's not as easy as he makes it sound as a matter of fact I think it's impossibe to do. The cost is to high and you still have aluminum doors that conduct cold and heat. Replace with Andersen sliding or hinged patio doors and you'll solve your problem forever.
PS: Your e-mail address doesn't seem to be correct.

------------------

Old 02-17-00, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
well to me it seems that some community members must be getting paid to promote certain products, and must service and repair windows and doors for a living, well I run a service dept with 4 people and all we do is maintain and repair and replace windows and doors, so when I say that it is relativly easy to do certain jobs on windows and doors I say this from exsperiance, and I wont promote one product over another, the choice is yours waycliff, all makes have their good qualities and bad ones so you need to look carefully at what you require and the costs involved by upgrading your exsisting patio doors does not mean you are throwing your money away its called being prudent, thay can probably be good for a few more years yet but as I said ask a local window rep( not a salesman) as all they will want is for you to buy new, get a respectable service engineer to look at them but in the end the choice is yours, Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!