replacement windows

Old 03-04-00, 04:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

How do I choose which window company to buy my windows from? They all claim to be the best.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-00, 04:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Jackie:
What kind of windows are you looking for ?
Wood, vinyl, double hung single hung ? Insulated, non insulated ?

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-04-00, 05:13 AM
Visiting Guest
The most energy efficient windows we can find. We have five windows 96 x 72. They don't have to all open but at least two of them should. We are thinking of a combination of casements with a fixed window in the middle.

Old 03-04-00, 09:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Have you been shopping in their product catalogs? You probably have a good idea about what you are looking for as far as appearance goes. Try to find all the windows you can by one manufacturer. If more than one company can suit this, then at least you can compare prices between them.

Try not to mix and match unless you are buying everything from the same retailer. If you have any warantee problems it is best to deal with just one source - the supplier or the dealer.

High E insulated glass is the only way to go, and everybody is making them. Some companies only make windows to your exact measurements. While others only make stock sizes. Just because a window is less expensive does not mean that it is a "cheap" window. You will pay for a name, but some of those are EXCELLENT - Anderson is one of them.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-04-00, 10:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

We remodeled and replaced all windows and doors in 1998. I researched off and on for a year. Finally went with Andersen. They have a 20-year warranty vs. 10-years for everyone else we looked at. Talked to several people that had Andersen, and Andersen replaced at 18 years and 19 years- no questions/no charge-for two of them. Guaranteed to withstand 60 mph winds. Saw Andersen factory tour on home improvement show, and they are actually built to withstand 100mph. Live in Coastal NC, and our new ones have been through near 90 mph a few times (hurricanes) and never leaked a drop. They come with different insulated glass options, and I would go with their best low-e, etc. Highly recommend them.

Old 03-04-00, 12:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the input. I picked up alot of catalogs at the Home Show this weekend. We are trying to narrow it down. Anybody know about Simonton Windows?

Old 03-05-00, 06:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Jackie, Simington's are a good window for the price. Other brands in their price range to consider would be Amerimax, Insulate, Milgard, etc. (Shopping for windows is a lot like shopping for a car -- there are a LOT of choices available -- find one that fits your budget, has a good warranty, and thoroughly check the references of the installing contractor. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackie:
Thanks for the input. I picked up alot of catalogs at the Home Show this weekend. We are trying to narrow it down. Anybody know about Simonton Windows?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-05-00, 05:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Visited a HomeShow in my area today. There must have been thirty or more window suppliers. Has anyone had any experience with Champion or Soft-Lite Windows. I am looking for vinyl double-hung replacement windows, and we live in the northeast. Thanks