broken dead bolt

Old 03-07-00, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

OK... I have a dead-bolt lock that when I turn the key, nothing happens, and the door won't open. So I took off the face of the lock, and messed around a bit, but accomplished nothing.
Why won't the deadbolt unlock when I turn the key?
And...
How can I fix this?
Thanks a million... I would like to get onto my balcony someday.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-00, 10:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, well there are many reasons why you have problems with a dead bolt lock, the main one is that the internal spring is broken, or the key is worn, or the striker is also worn the truth is it can be a number of different things and more than one at the same time, dead bolt locks are not the exspensive and realativly easy to fit even for a novice,so why mess about with it you can remove it in the morning take it to a local locksmith to repair or buy a new one and just replace it, I hope this helps a little, handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 03-07-00, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
One more question....

How can I remove the lock... I can't open the door or get to the other side of it cause its on the balcony

Thanks
Laurel

Old 03-10-00, 09:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, have you tried to remove the hinge pins from the hinges and remove the door that way, if this is not possible you might have to call in a professional locksmith to open the door for you, I hope this helps a little, Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 03-10-00, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
If the dead bolt was installed properly to begin with, you should be able to remove it from the inside. Your balcony should be the outside of the lock.

------------------
Jack the Contractor