Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Widening interior doors.. Header replacement question

Widening interior doors.. Header replacement question


Old 03-19-00, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I'm about to replace all the interior doors of my home with three of them going to 36" width for wheelchair access.
I'm open to any tips on the job especially header replacement. I'm also going to have to move some electrical switches for two of these walls next to the wider doors. Will I need a permit for this work?
Also, what kind of door is recommended for an interior (sort of) door which enters into an uninsulated garage. We live in the San Francisco Bay area and though weather isn't extreme, I don't want to put in the wrong kind of door for this application.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a


California has some strick codes on doors between garages and the house. You should check your cities fire codes and buy only a door that meets those codes.

As for the exterior door widening project, in my opinion, it would be a wise move to ask about this also while your at the city office.

It would also be wise to ask who is a licensed contractor that does this type of speciality work. Ask for the names of several contractors and get referrences and solid estimates in writting before making your selection, if time permits.

Permits. Aaahhhh yes! Ask that question and get a copy too. Worth reading before the contractors arrive and before the work starts.

<<<This will allow you to avoid the BULL CRAP beforehand.>>>

I see nothing wrong with being an informed consumer before any contractor shows up. Being aware of all the information will help you know beforehand, if the contractor really does know the laws and codes.

The contractor you select <in my opinion> should be a general contractor to do all the work, including the relocationing of the electrical boxes.

Good Luck

TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
Old 03-20-00, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Tom's advise was good. What you are planning is probably best left to a licensed contractor and done with a bldg. permit, especially in CA. As far as the door between the house and the garage, that simply has to be a 20 minute fire door (prehung steel is most common) with self closing hinges.
Old 03-21-00, 03:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Tom is right. This is not a big job. I am one of only a few handicap accessible licensed contractors around in about 6 states. You job is not a problem. You do however need to make some decisions beforehand. Most likely quite a bit of your trim will need to be changed, and depending on what your walls are finished of, there may need to have some changes made there also. Good Luck

Jack the Contractor

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes