window counterweight (?)

Old 03-19-00, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

The top window slides down, but will not stay up, and leaves maybe a 2" gap. I'm guessing that it is the weight that needs fixed. I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart, so I was thinking of installing a good lock in the middle, pushing the window up and then locking it in place. Or I thought that I could just drill a small whole through the lower and upper windows (while holding the upper one up), and inserting a pin to hold it up. Do you think that either of these theings would work?
P.S. We really don't ever open these windows.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-00, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have it all figured out. Go ahead and DIY!

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 03-20-00, 08:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Or maybe just a barrel bolt on each side of the sash (into the side of the frame)that won't stay closed. You are right about it sounding like a counter weight problem, and trust me, you don't even want to go there unless you've done it several times.

Old 03-21-00, 10:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Petie, well if you do as the other two say then you have a window that is useless as a window what is your Vertical sliding window made of?, is it wood,Aluminium, or Vynal, if it is Aluminium or Vynal then it is an easy problem to sort if it is wood then your right you will have to dismantel the sashes from the frame to get at the counter balences but you dont with the Aluminium of Vynal let me know and I will give you better info than just to seal it shut, what if there was a fire and that window was the only exit from the area of the house or room you were in?, I hope this helps a little, Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 03-21-00, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
There is a device on the market that looks like a "half moon" made of spring metal. It is wedged between the sash and the tracks and screwed to the bottom of the sash. What it does is put enough friction to prevent the sash from sliding down. Try a good hardware store. We buy them from our glazing suppliers.