pocket sliding doors

Old 03-14-00, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi I am looking for information on either making and installing a pocket sliding door or where I could purchase one to install between a family room and dining room. I have looked everywhere and can find little info. please feel free to email me with any info. Thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-00, 03:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Nick: Most improvement stores either carry pocket door kits, or you can order one through them. The bad part, is that they do not come with instructions. It is hard to put in a pocket door once a house is built.
The reason is you have to put in a header over the entire door and opening, which means taking out some existing wall on each side of the doorway, and usually clear to the ceiling. If you decide to do it, after you find a door, e-mail me and I will help you. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-15-00, 05:44 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info Jack. I will look around then and see what I find at Lowes or one of the others. I figured about the header it makes sense to me after all there has to be something for the door track to hang from. My wall on the family room side is all wood panel and may not be that bad to get into. And I am planning on a kitchen remodel in the very near future anyway which is on the opposite side. There is only a wall outlet on that wall and nothing else running through it. So that will make it easier to deal with too. I will let you know what I find out later thanks again Nick.

Old 03-23-00, 02:14 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an older home that was built by the original occupants about 50+/- yrs. ago. There is a "pocket" door for the bathroom, but it isn't actually in a "pocket", but is "hanging" on the inside of the door frame, which leaves the track exposed. It works. (and is easier to fix this way) My office is also an older home and has a real pocket door. it is one of the more charming features of the older homes. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nastynick:
thanks for the info Jack. I will look around then and see what I find at Lowes or one of the others. I figured about the header it makes sense to me after all there has to be something for the door track to hang from. My wall on the family room side is all wood panel and may not be that bad to get into. And I am planning on a kitchen remodel in the very near future anyway which is on the opposite side. There is only a wall outlet on that wall and nothing else running through it. So that will make it easier to deal with too. I will let you know what I find out later thanks again Nick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>