condensation between window panes

Old 03-24-00, 08:10 PM
Visiting Guest
My double pane windows have condensation between the panes. I read somewhere that you could drill a hole at the bottom of the frame so air would circulate between the panes and dry the moisture. Is that possible ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-00, 09:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Terry -- the reason you have condensation between the panes is that the seals have broken. First, how old are these windows? They may still be under the manufactures warranty. If not, then go to a local glass shop and have them order new IG (insulated glass) units for the windows. Trying to drill holes and get them to dry on their own is simply a waste of time, plus you will lose all of the thermopanes insulating qualities.

Old 03-25-00, 04:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Terry, Lefty is right the reason to start with that you have moisture between the panes is that air is getting in because the seals have broken down, even if you did drill a hole and suceeded in drying out the unit you will be left with water marks that go white and then the glass is no longer see through, you have no option but to replace with new. Low E glass is also a good glass to install as replacement, Hope this helps a little, Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 03-25-00, 02:44 PM
Visiting Guest
My windows are 18 years old. I don't know who the manufacturer is. They are metal but I don't know what kind of metal. I live in an addition where the builder used a cookie cutter and used the cheapest windows he could get so these couldn't be under warranty. Could they?

Old 03-25-00, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Terry, you 18 year old windows are no longer under warranty. I'm 99% sure the metal is aluminum. A local glass shop can order replacement IG units but they will want to measure the old ones before doing so. Upgrading to a "low-e" glass would reduce your utility bills (year 'round), but having it in just one or two windows wouldn't make a signifigant difference. But if this moisture problem exists in more than one or two windows, I would seriously consider having all your windows retrofitted with vinyl or wood windows. The energy savings will pay for them in a few years.