hanging a door

Old 03-27-00, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
i bought a prehung door but when i try and install it the itself drops down and i can't make it stay level. what or how do you do this
lisso

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-00, 05:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Remove door from frame. Use beveled shims from both sides behind each hinge, plumb that side, and nail. Level top and nail. Shim and plumb other side of frame, and nail. Should be plumb and level all the way around frame. Be sure and hang it high enough to clear any new flooring, if you"re also installing that. Hang door, and double-check for level and plumb. If not, put thin shims behind hinge plates on frame until it is (I've used old utility knife blades for this). Good Luck! Edit: You can just shim up temporarily under bottom of each side of frame until you get it to height that you need it, before installing.

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited March 27, 2000).]

Old 03-27-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Old Guy's method works, but this is how I do it:

1st step is identical - remove door and shim hinge side.

2nd step - I rehang the door and eyeball the spacing all the way around it before I nail the latch side of the casing. Some door headers are not level enough to leave the door out.

Sometimes I even put the lockset in the door before I nail it.

Some prehung units come with little pieces of cardboard stapled between the door and casing. Leave them on until the door is completely installed. They are great spacers.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net