doors and latch will not catch

Old 03-27-00, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have been struggling with what i thought would be a routine job changing bedroom handle and lock set. the problem is that the lock will not catch and I am afraid that i have now chiseled away too much wood and patched it with wood putty and the lock still does not catch. it seems like the lock will just not hold. i am about ready to call a professional but really feel embarrassed to do so and this is my last resort. ps i relate best to simple explanations.

signed
no handyman

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-00, 07:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Is it not catching because of being too high or low? Maybe it does not travel far enough back to catch?

It sound like you have been working on the earlier given the wood removal.

If it is the latter, before you call a pro, you can move the door stop back if necessary.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-05-19 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-28-00, 10:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, more than a carpenter is right mark the door where the striker hits the strike plate to see if it is in line with the hole if not check the hanging of the door and move if nessesary, but rather than move the rebate stop on the door if the latch does line up, just move the strike plate ie the part that the door lock catches in on the main frame, move it outwards, I hope this helps a little Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 03-28-00, 11:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

If all of the above doesn't quite do it, and it's just a hair off, you can enlarge the hole in the strike plate with a small flat file just enough for the latch to clear, also. Good Luck!