New basement window

Old 03-29-00, 12:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have been looking at basemen windows and found one on tthe www that i think looks easy to install for an apprentice. It is the thickness of a concrete block and comes 32 x 24". I plan to rent a concrete saw and cut the blocks out on three sides (the top is the ceiling joist. I have plenty of room outside, and will be 14 inches off the ground. At a home show last weekend though looking around no one carried this type of window. One building materials rep told me it was a job for an expert not an amateur. He suggested I not try it. ANother rep for Peachtree Windows said it would be no problem, although he did not have a window like I wanted. I figure since I cannot work with wood very well, and do not want to build a frame for the window,
the one that I seen ( made by Kewanee) seems the way to go. I can't buy one in Omaha, and the rep in St. Louis does not want to ship just one. Any advise?

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-00, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I can see that you have never used a concrete saw before. I will give you 5 minutes, and you will call a contractor. There are things about that window you should know. It still takes a wooded window frame. It will need a header also. In order to cut out a wall opening that size you will need a hammer drill and drill a hole every 1/2", and then chisel it out. big bad job. Remember, you will have rebar in your wall also. You ned to think about how you are going to cut this. I would call a contractor this morning. Pay the $300.00 and not worry. This is my best advice.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-29-00, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Just to add one more item to Jack's advice - the blades for the concrete saw aren't cheap. You wouldn't be the first to break one. A new blade plus the rental is more than the cost to have it done by a pro.

Old 03-29-00, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Jack and Bob are right, it is a big job also you need to know what way your joists run as the wall may be load bearting you would probably need to install a good header to take the weight above, so do yourself a favour and call in the contractors and sit back and relax ok, I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!