basement windows

Old 04-07-00, 09:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

our house was built in 1916. the foundation is brick and brick block. in the basement, the wood frames are warped and partially rotted, and the surrounding brick is loose and should be re-laid. also, the soil line is barely below the sill. here are my questions. can I raise the bottom level of the windows by adding another row of bricks without doing any harm? this would allow me to create a better grade outside the house, to divert water away from the house. the other question is regarding replacement windows. is there any manufacturer you know of that specializes in steel frame replacements? so far, all i have found are vinyl replacements, and i was thinking that steel windows with small glass panes would also be more protective against would-be intruders, who currently could just kick the window in, and be on their way. any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-00, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I do not think those type of windows are made anymore. You might think about putting in glass block windows in your basement. these are getting very popular, and have a 6"
high by 12" long window that opens. These type of windows are bugular proof, let in lots of light, easy to install, and are used alot to replace basement windows just like yours.

------------------
Jack the Contractor