Do Vinyl and Stucco mix?

Old 04-12-00, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to put vinyl double hung windows in my concrete stucco home to replace my single pane wood frame ones. My neighbor says that if I use vinyl, I will have to, "rip out a lot of your stucco to get the window in". He says that I should stick with wood frames.
Is this true? I really like the low-maint aspect of vinyl.
Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-00, 10:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi tsquared, well yes and no, first to remove your old windows you may have to damage your stucco anyway secondly even if you replaced your old wooden windows with new wooden ones would that not cause the same damage??, most window fitting companies do very little damage to the surrounding window areas and any damage that is caused they usually repair so I dont see any reason why you cant replace your old with new viynle,I hope this helps a little, Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 04-13-00, 04:12 AM
Visiting Guest
TSQUARE: Your neighbor is absolutely wrong.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. You can get what are called tilt in windows, all vinyl, and they insert right into your old window openings.
In fact I have 14 of them to pop in today. They are custom made to fit your openings. they take about 20 minutes to install, and they are great. They come in brown and white. Good Luck PS some people call them inserts instead of tilt ins.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-19-00, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Handyman,

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I was away from the computer for a trip.

I've had three estimates for the windows. Two are using Simonton and the third Gorrell.

The Gorrell are less expensive, and that contractor says that Simontons are good windows also, but the quality has been hurt since Owens-Corning bought Simonton.

Any comments?

thanks, Tom

Old 04-19-00, 11:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack,

Thanks for your reply. See my msg to Handyman for the reason for my tardy reply.

Tom