Leaking window frames

Old 04-20-00, 11:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Have had several days of wind blown spring rain. Now I've noticed that the frames next to the glass along the top and sides are wet.

Windows are wooden frame, single pane, I guess they are double hung or that they raise up to open. (weighed balance system)

This is a bedroom window on the second floor. Exterior was painted last summer or the year before. Windows do feel drafty all winter. Water was on the top of the outer frame, sides also felt damp, also on bottom frame but not on sill.

Any suggestions? What looking for? What to fix?

Please e-mail with answer. This is the first time I've found this board and not sure I can find my way back.

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-00, 12:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Taking another look, there are the tell tale signs of spliting varnish /paint and darkening of the wood as well as getting soft.

I've never had a problem with inside condensation so that wouldn't be my water source.

Old 04-21-00, 06:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Cecile, well if the varnish is split and the wood is darkening and it is soft then water is getting into the wood, but you say that the water is ontop of the outer frame and running down the sides, if this is the case then the water is coming in above the window and running down the cavity so a few things to look for?
1) are the outside seals from frame to wall in good condition or does it need to be resealed? Kaulking.
2)is the putty that holds your glass inplace old and letting water through?
3) looking above the window on the outside are there any cracks in the walls/sidings?
4) is there a hole in the roof, shingles or underfelt that will alow water to travel down the cavity to the window?.
with wooden windows the most common cause is rotting from the inside between the cavity as this is the area water might get to undetected untill its too late..
I hope this helps a little Handyman.

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Old 04-25-00, 12:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Handyman,

Yes, it must be hard to offer suggestions without seeing the place. I'm new at this home care stuff and didn't quite understand your explainations. Any other ideas?

>water is getting into the wood, but you say >that the water is ontop of the outer frame >and running down the sides,
Water was on both frames of a double hung window. Top of inner (lower) track frame quite wet for the full inch width, all way from frame to frame, also both sides of glass of both panes dampened a tissue. Didn't see water running.
This window has always been drafty. Would water be coming in same place as air? So if I do the candle test to see where the flame moves? Would that be a starting point?

>water is coming in above the window and running down the cavity
What do you mean by cavity?
Would this be the space behind the wood where the weights and pulleys are operating?

1) are the outside seals from frame to wall in good condition or does it need to
be resealed? Kaulking.
How would I tell? I'm on the inside and second floor. A tree hides the view from the outside looking up. Was supposed to be caulked as needed when I had painting contractor two summers ago.

2)is the putty that holds your glass inplace old and letting water through?
Far as I can tell, it is just wood moulding, paint does extend up to the glass. Storms, before they were broken by previous tenant, did have putty triangle which was also painted.

3) looking above the window on the outside are there any cracks in the walls/sidings?
Exterior is stucco. Yes, it looks are there are cracks in the pattern. About 2 weeks ago, I did find a 2" chunck of stucco on the window sill. Haven't been able to find out where from.

4) is there a hole in the roof, shingles or underfelt that will alow water to travel
My parents once said, had to reroof when water was dripping on dining room table on first floor. (Wouldn't expect the leak to be one floor below instead of the upstairs bedrooms) But where ever the water was coming in, it was working its way down and coming out the hole where the light fixture was installed.
I wouldn't expect that is my problem. Roof is over 20 years old but is very high pitch. Roof is E-W and this is the North wall so only the foot overhang way above there.

>with wooden windows the most common cause is rotting from the inside between the cavity
Even though the frame is okay? 2" in next to the glass is where I have the problem.

Old 04-25-00, 11:13 PM
Visiting Guest
The first few sords of your original post said it all -- wooden double hung windows with single pane glass are OLD and really not worth the trouble of trying to repair. I suggest that you simply replace them. Retrofit vinyl single or double hungs can be made to fit your existing openings and all of the windows in your house can be replaced in a day. The money you save on utilities alone will pay for them in a matter of a few years, and there is virtually no maintanence to them.