REPLACING OLD WINDOWS

Old 05-04-00, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT MAKES ONE WINDOW SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE OTHER?
WHEN YOU SHOP AROUND EVERYONE SAYS THAT THERE WINDOWS ARE THE BEST BUT TO ME THEY ALL LOOK ABOUT THE SAME.WHAT QUALITY`S ARE THERE IN A WINDOW THAT ONE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-00, 04:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Tiny:
There are about as many brands of windows as there are cars. What makes one car better then the other. It depends on what you want it for. It depends on where you live. There are only about 4 vinyl window mfgs in the US, and about 8 wood window mfg. You want a window that is tight, works well, is insulated, and has clear glass. After that it is just the grade of the materials. In the window industry, you really get what you pay for. People being what they are, are always looking for a deal. Always looking for cheap. If you pay cheap, you will get cheap. Yes, I just turned down a very big job, of installing alot a windows in a home.
The owner had already purchased them. They were cheap, and I knew the owner would not be happy with them next winter. So, I would not install them. I hope this will shed some light for you. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 05-05-00, 09:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Jack has pretty much hit this nail on the head. You will get what you pay for, or, generally, the more you pay, the better quality product you will get. In vinyl windows, most of the extra cost is in the amount of internal ribbing of the frame, and whether the vinyl used is 100% virgin, or some mix of recycled vinyl. (These factors will determine how much the frame will twist and sag as the temerature changes) Also, how the glass units are made will have some affect on the price of the windows. The air space between the panes is a pretty good indication. Stay away from any with an air gap of 1/2" or less. A "low-e" coating on the glass will greatly reduce the heat transfer through the glass (and will add to the cost of the windows). And the material used between the panes can add or subtract from the overall cost. A 100% butyl seal is more expensive that an aluminum rib with some butyl on each side, but it will greatly reduce heat transfer). Hope this aswers more questions for you than it raises!!

Old 05-06-00, 03:52 PM
Visiting Guest
I would add that a manufacturer's warranty should give an idea of how good their product really is. Just look at how many satisfied customers own Andersen windows! Hard to beat their warranty (20 years on the glass).

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net