Replacing old wood windows

Old 05-01-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Our house has 20+ older double hung wood windows that we are looking at replacing or restoring for the lowest cost. Is there a process for restoring the old windows or is the replacement with news windows a simple enough project for a DIY? We would be replacing with new wood windows. What are the key items if I take it on as a DIY project?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-00, 08:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I'm trying to do the same thing. I saw the demo done a few months ago on one of those reno show (Bob V. or someone...). I was trying to find out more about the idea on the web, when I came across your note.

First off, I'm not a pro by any means, so this note should only be considered as a guideline (or perhaps hope that there are methods other than replacing the whole window)

It is possible to restore the old windows with the use of a teflon/vinyl strip pasted to the sides of the windows (both the window and the frame, so the strips are face to face), to facilitate smooth movement. Of course, the sides of the window frame will need to be planed down to allow room for the strips.

The outer edge of the window frame can be sealed with a 'brush style' weather stripping - where the strip is quite litterally, a little, long brush, that reduced drafts.
(similar to the new style of sliding windows)

I'm sure anyone will tell you (including myself) that a new window is far more efficient in terms of heat retention, however, if characteris an important of your decision criteria, you may want to try this idea! Good luck!