Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

replacing old windows with wood or vinyle - which is best?

replacing old windows with wood or vinyle - which is best?

Old 05-23-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm replacing 3 windows as part of a renovation project. This is strictly a DIY project. I have never done this before. My question for anyone who has any experience in this area is: which is best (wood or vinyl) for replacement windows) Cost is a major consideration in this project. I would also like info. on web sites that might have step by step instructions for DIY projects such as this. I am a sinle mom living from paycheck to paycheck. I am going to enter my project in a BH&G contest. Any info. or advise is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Because you have never replaced or retrofitted a window before, I would strongly suggest that you hire it done. One little leak that you may not even be aware exists can do thousands of dollars damage to a wall before it's dicovered. Check with several local retrofitting contractors. Many can arrange financing, and should warranty there work for several years. Vinyl would be less money than wood and will last longer.

Old 05-26-00, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I have some DIY information on window replacement on my website (Catalog of sevices/DIY help) at http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Vinyl is the longer lasting window.

MTAC

Old 05-30-00, 05:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty: Thanks for the advise (I think).... but no, I won't be hiring anyone. As part of my project, I have already jacked up the entire east side of my house to replace a rotten sill; totally stripped the inside bathroom walls down to the studs and replaced the walls and floor boards; finished the walls with beautiful Lakeshore Birch paneling, removed and reinstalled tub and tub surround, removed and replaced vanity and sink, removed old window, and will replace it in a different location in the same wall. Will next replace the toilet and floor boards underneath it. So, you see, its not that I can't do the windows myself, I just need some helpful hints along the way...... I'd never done any of this prior to this job, but that didn't stop me. You do what you have to do to make it in this world. Vicki

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Because you have never replaced or retrofitted a window before, I would strongly suggest that you hire it done. One little leak that you may not even be aware exists can do thousands of dollars damage to a wall before it's dicovered. Check with several local retrofitting contractors. Many can arrange financing, and should warranty there work for several years. Vinyl would be less money than wood and will last longer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-30-00, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Valmour:
E-mail me direct, and I will help you with your windows. You have done just fine so far.

Old 05-31-00, 10:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Vicki, I was just trying to help you avoid the biggest problem I have seen with people retrofitting their own windows -- LEAKS! If you feel comfortable with doing it yourself, and can think like a drop of water, then go for it. (Water will find it's way in even when nobody else thinks such a way exists!!)Just don't Spare any expense when it come to caulking. Use 100% silicon, and plenty of it, except on the very edge where you will probably be painting later.