Install replacement windows

Old 06-08-00, 09:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm thinking about replacing my existing windows. Two questions: 1) I've seen some suggestions that I install replacements inside the existing frames. Isn't it better to completely remove the existing windows & install in the original rough opening? Doesn't seem all that hard to get the old windows out (I have a sawzall and I'm not afraid to use it). 2) What's the correct nailing location when mounting the new windows? I tend to over-do things and I don't want to put in too many nails or nail in the wrong place--seems like you could warp the new units if you're not careful. Thanks.

Old 06-09-00, 07:32 PM
Visiting Guest
The problem with replacing your whole window, is your siding, your brick mold, your trim your sheetrock, the list goes on.
If you want to install a whole new window, the instructions will come with the window,
as well as the nailing pattern.

Old 06-09-00, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Replacement windows are okay as long as your existing frames are in good shape and do not allow infiltration from the outside.

Unless you already know what you are doing, leave the Sawzall in your toolshed and go with the replacement windows. If you feel ambishness enough go to my website below and visit the "Catalog of services/DIY help" section.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-05-19 at 06:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: