Storm Window Weather Stripping

Old 06-12-00, 09:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have some "old" aluminum storm windows in my house and the weather stripping in them is pretty worn. The weather stripping is the "feathery" type that slides into a channel in the storm window. Does anybody know where I can purchase some new weather stripping to replace the old?

Art in Baltimore
Old 06-13-00, 06:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

You probably won't find an exact replacement for your weatherstipping. Next best thing would be to install the tape on type of foam weatherstripping. That comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses, so you can select the one that will work best for you.
Old 12-02-06, 08:02 AM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weather stripping for aluminum-frame storm windows

This thread is 6 years old, but I didn't see a good answer. The product needed is manufactured by C.R. Laurence Co. (, 800-421-6144, call to find local dealer); product no. A11320C; CRL Windo-Pile .200/.187; indicating the pile depth (.200"; fine brush-type weather stripping) and width of stripping (.187"). Also available in pile depth of .25". Comes in 100' roll -- you probably will have to special order it from a local dealer, and will probably need more to do a whole houseful of storm windows. Gaithersburg Glass in Gaithersburg MD would sell it to me by the foot, and told me I would have to disassemble the storm window frames to slide the the weather stripping into the channels. However, I found it slipped right in starting carefully at the angled corners. Use a pointed wire or ice pick to pry the old weather stripping out of the channels first, and clean the window frame well with a stiff brush and plenty of soapy water.

The adhesive holding the glass in the frame has probably lost its grip, but if you are careful to not lift the frame midway between the corners, that shouldn't be a problem. If you do so inadvertently, the frame may flex and the vinyl window spline on one side of the glass will be deformed. You will have to pry it out, clean it off, and reinstall to hold the glass in place. Replacement spline can be purchased by the foot or by the roll from a window repair shop. Replacing old window spline may be a good idea. If you do so, remove the glass entirely, carefully clean the entire window frame, then glue the glass in place with clear silicone sealer on one side of the glass, before installing new spline.
Old 12-06-12, 11:08 PM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great tip, scumbdyoit!

Now the thread is 12 years old, but still a good questions.

I bought slip-in felt strips at RONA (British Columbia, Canada) this afternoon. they have several sizes on hand.

scumbdyoit's tip about slipping the felt strips in without removing the frames was genius. In fact, once the screw is removed from a corner, the two angled frame ends can be torqued gently with thumb and index finger of one hand, allowing the old felt to slip right out and the new one to slip right back in.

Thanks, scumbdyoit.
Old 12-07-12, 03:04 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You're right, it is a 12 year old post and all is falling on deaf ears, so I will close the thread. Glad your experience was a good one.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: