window headers

Old 06-15-00, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a house Bubba and his brothers built 50 years ago on the Texas coast. When I was removing sheetrock around a large window to see how bad my termite damage was, I discovered the header was made from 2x4 lumber which is not supported with jack studs. They're just toenailed into the king studs. I have reason to believe all the windows and doors are framed the same way. I have three windows that are 72 in. wide and have reframed and replaced two of these windows and will tackle the third one shortly. The rest of the windows are about 36 in. wide. I am replacing all the windows with insulated vinyl windows, as time and money allows. I know only enough to be dangerous about this stuff. My question is this: Since this house is still standing after this long in hurricane country, can I assume there's something these Good Old Boys did structurally to compensate for the lack of header support? Would it be imprudent to replace the smaller windows without reframing them? Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-00, 05:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Do not even think about not reframing them.
Them good old buys knew lots, but it was not about home construction. You have done a good job so far, do not stop now. Good Luck