Purchasing a door

Old 06-28-00, 05:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to purchase an interior door. The sales rep asked me if I needed a "right-hand" door or a "left-hand" door. I said I wasn't sure what that meant and he said "it was just a matter of personal preference". That didn't sit well. Can someone please explain what the difference is, so I know what to purchase? Thanks.

Old 06-30-00, 05:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Find a new sales rep. Whether you want right or left hand doors is determined by which way you need the door to swing, not a "personal preference". You want the door to swing in one particular direction, the same one it swings now.

Old 06-30-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by lefty:
Find a new sales rep. Whether you want right or left hand doors is determined by which way you need the door to swing, not a "personal preference". You want the door to swing in one particular direction, the same one it swings now.<HR>

I agree, but could you explain, how the direction the door swings is related to 'left-hand' and 'right-hand' door? Let's say I'm facing the door and the door opens towards me, if the doorknob is on the right side and the hinges on the left does that mean it's a right hand door?

Old 06-30-00, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Not all door manufacturers use the same interpretation on that one. Tell the salesperson where you're buying the door what you need and he'll sell you the proper door (hopefully). It might help to draw a diagram for him showing hinge, knob, and direction of swing! Go to Home Depot if there's one near you.

Old 06-30-00, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
I guess the other answers did not know how to tell you. They kept sending you back to a sales person. Here is how you do it.
Walk up to any door in your home. face the door. Now reach out and turn the door knob, and open the door. Did the door swing to your right, or too your left. That is how you tell. You always stand at the point you enter the room. In other words, don't go inside and try this. You will get the wrong door. Now you know. And yes, it is very important to know when you buy a door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: