Rehanging front door with stripped holes

Old 07-18-00, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
HELP! Our front door (multi-panel, solid wood door, very heavy) over the years has not been fitting well in the door casing in several ways, both corner to corner and distance to door stop is uneven. My uncle hung the door for us about seven years ago, and somewhat rushed the job so it never has fit very well, but has gotten worse lately. I determined that the upper hinge was pulling loose from the casing, so during the rehanging I moved this hinge 1/4" closer to door stop to make door seal better and to hopefully hit some new solid wood to hold the screws. I moved the middle hinge in 1/8" to keep hinges in line, then rehung the door with longer (1 1/2" brass screws). Worked like a dream for a couple of days, then it sagged again, even worse than before. The top hinge is working loose again, and you can't tighten down the screws, it seems like the wood is already stripped out. There doesn't seem to be a lot of solid wood on the other side of the casing, there's a space and then another piece of framing (stud?). Is there some sort of expanding foam or other material that can fill up the holes and the space AND hold a screw so that it can take some longer screws, or should I drill the holes out to take toggle bolts or mollies to pull the hinge onto the casing good and solid? I'm really trying to avoid ripping all the casing and other stuff out and re-doing the whole thing if possible, but need to fix soon because this is throwing off the fit of the door and the deadbolt and doorknob are really hard to lock and unlock, so security is an issue. Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-18-00, 04:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I would guess that there are several things going on here. First, the jamb is probably only a 3/4" thick jamb, and second it wasn't installed with enough nails or screws (and it's possible the ones that were used are too small) on the hinge side to support the weight of a 1-3/4" thick solid wood door. Now that the screws have started stripping out, your only option will be to move the hinges up or down again, and this will just add more butchering to the door and to the jamb. My suggestion would be to replace the door with a prehung unit, either steel or fiberglass, and install it with 3" deck screws, not nails. Will take a lot less time than trying to patch your eisting, and it will look a whole lot better when you're done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: