cutting brick to create new window opening

Old 09-01-00, 06:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I will add to casement windows to my home. I need to cut through my brick exterior (3 1/2" thick)to create my rough opening. Not sure what means to use to cut through the brick. Simply add a masonary blade to my circular saw or rent a larger masonary saw from Home depot. The circular saw seems easist, but the cut wont be completely through the brick, so I not sure it will work.

Old 09-01-00, 11:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I would hire a masonary contractor to cut the opening for you. There could be any number of problems that could arise from trying this, and the contractor will be able to deal with them.

Old 09-12-00, 07:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

abrasive blades can be used to cut brick.they will wear,but they are cheap enough. set the guide on your circular saw to its deepest setting. don't forget to use googles.you can also use a pnuematic chisel if you own or rent a compressor.posted by joeman:
I will add to casement windows to my home. I need to cut through my brick exterior (3 1/2" thick)to create my rough opening. Not sure what means to use to cut through the brick. Simply add a masonary blade to my circular saw or rent a larger masonary saw from Home depot. The circular saw seems easist, but the cut wont be completely through the brick, so I not sure it will work. [/QUOTE]

Old 09-12-00, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Most homeowners don't own the saw that can do this job. A circular saw with a brand new masonry blade is not the answer.

A large demolition saw with a 10" or 12" blade is the answer. If you are familiar with their operation, rent one and do the job yourself.

If you are unsure of your DIY talents and skills, hire it out.

The cost of having it done right the first time is a good price to pay. Think of the alternatives?

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-05-19 at 07:37 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: