Need to fix door on un-level house

Old 09-15-00, 04:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a house approx/ 28 yrs. old - my problem is the front door - it has a gap at the top only on 1 side. My house is un-level & at this time I cannot afford to have it leveled. The gap is approx. 1/2" to 3/4" - it runs approx. 8"-10" from one side to mid way across. Is there anything I can do to stop the sunlight that's shining through. I live in Texas & it really lets in a lot of heat. Thanks!!

Old 09-16-00, 11:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello, Seems like a big gap across the top of the door.Remove the top door stop,close the door and install 1x2 piece of pine in its place. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-17-00, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by DKAGriffin:
I live in a house approx/ 28 yrs. old - my problem is the front door - it has a gap at the top only on 1 side. My house is un-level & at this time I cannot afford to have it leveled. The gap is approx. 1/2" to 3/4" - it runs approx. 8"-10" from one side to mid way across. Is there anything I can do to stop the sunlight that's shining through. I live in Texas & it really lets in a lot of heat. Thanks!!<HR>

Hi,

I take it that this is an external door.

Your best plan is to fit some form of threshold piece, either timber or preformed aluminium.

After fitting it to the floor, scribe the door to it and refit.

[This message has been edited by dc2 (edited September 17, 2000).]

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-05-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-18-00, 12:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

On the other hand, if the gap is to the top of the door, (sorry I misread your original msg) as suggested by ‘Woodbutcher’ and assuming that the doorstop is the planted type, replace it with a deeper one. Alternatively you can fix a flat bead on top of the existing stop.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-05-19 at 06:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: