Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

stopping condensation on an acrylic block window

Old 12-27-02, 09:07 PM
workatit
Visiting Guest

We have a 4' square arcrylic block window in our bathroom over the tub. We live in northern Ohio. In the winter we have water dripping condensation on the inside of the window that is always present, even when there is not shower/tub moisture present. It has caused the wood window trim to turn black in some places and is dripping down the inside of the wall.

How can I stop the condensation? What can be done to isolate the condensation? I thought of making a trough for the water to sit in however this would look unsightly. I hope that someone can provide a solution.

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-30-02, 05:18 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The moisture in a bath is omnipresent. and remains long after a shower. Removing as much moisture as possible via an exhast fan will improve the situation. Have the fan put on a timer to continue to operate for fifteen minutes after using the shower or bath. Condensation will continue while the bath is in use because the fan will not remove the moisture fast enough.
As well as reducing moisture the other factor is the cold glass block and coming up with a means of preventing moisture from contacting it. During winter months you could apply a plastic covering sealed to the walls (ugly). Removing the block, which you may have to do any way to repair the damage of what you can & cannot see, and having it re installed in two layers with an air space in between ( much like a thermal pane window). Do not reinstall flush with the interior wall, Let it protrude past the wall which will create a drip edge for the condensate. Seal around the block with tub & tile caulking. Apply tile or other waterproof material below and or around the block down to the tub.
Hope this spurs an idea. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: