Pella or Marvin

Old 12-29-02, 07:30 PM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
Pella or Marvin

If you had your choice which would you use.......

My main objective is to have the best quality-air tight- sealed window. MY second objective is having an easy to clean window with 6 lights.

Do I choose the Marvin with the GBG, (grills between glass) their so called "energy Panel"

or

The Pella with the sealed windows and snap on and off grills?

The Marvins have an inside removable glass panel, my concerns were condensation and the lack of "sealed gas" between the double panes. Marvin argues that all the sealed units lose seal over time so theirs are better.

I just cant make my mind up. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-02, 07:53 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My opinion -- choose the one you like the looks of. Between Marvin and Pella -- either way, you really can't go wrong.

Old 12-30-02, 06:35 AM
kchristofora
Visiting Guest
Lefty,

You dont think there is a difference between a removable "2nd" pane and a sealed unit?

Thanks

Kevin

Old 12-30-02, 10:19 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advantages and Disadvantages to both types

I agree with Lefty that you can't go wrong with either one. High end manufacturers like Pella, Marvin and others are always aware of the public reactions towards their or similar products. A few years ago they were all using vynal cladding. Today you won't see them using it. It is either aluminum or fiberglass cladding. Even though they solved the problem with UV light exposure.

One concern you will see throughout this forums is fogging up between the sealed panes. This is a disadvantage to having a sealed panes. The advantages to having sealed panes are Low-E is better applied to the interior because you cannot touch it. Another is inert gases can be inserted between the sealed panes, like Argon. This improves the thermal performance by limiting convective loops between the panes of glass.

Low-E may not last long on a window that has a removable 2nd pane. Just cleaning between the panes might remove the Low-E. You could not insert a gas because it would just escape. Because of this, this type of window will not be as energy efficient as a sealed pane window with these features. But if you ever experienced the fogging up between the sealed panes, you would say the hell with the improved energy efficiency.

But let's say you want the best of both worlds. Pella does have a mini blind that goes between the panes of glass. I am almost certain the have one that has Low-E applied to the blinds that is sealed. In other words, you can clean the blinds without removing the Low-E. Also you can get a full screen with either window and a full storm, very similar to an invisable storm window. This would outperform a sealed dual pane window and in some cases be more efficient than a triple pane window. But are you ready to take out a second mortgage?

Old 12-30-02, 10:35 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not familiar with the specific Marvin item you are talking about. Is it a second pane, or actually a third pane? If they have an IG unit with the grids sandwiched between those 2 panes and then a third, removable pane inside of that, shouldn't be a problem. But, if it is simply 2 panes, with the grids between them, and you can remove the inner pane, I think you might run into condensation problems.

I don't agree with Marvin if they say that ALL sealed IG uinits lose their seal over time (unless you are thinking in terms of hundreds of years). How long the seal lasts depends on a lot of factors. What type of spacer, how good the sealing material used is, the eviornment the window is expected to survive in, ... Some are warrantied for 10 years, others are warrantied for as long as you own the house, and a few are even transferable to the next owner. If company "A" and company "B" have both been around a long time (40 or 50 years, maybe more), and company "A" is offering a 10 year warranty on their product and company "B" offers a lifetime, or even a transferable warranty on their product, I would look very closely in comparing the two to find out why the huge difference exists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: