Installing a louver bi-fold closet door

Old 10-16-00, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi, I am replacing a sliding door with a bifold louver closet door. I don't have a door frame (jam)to attach the bifold door to. The sliding door's tracks were directly screwed to the ceiling drywall in the upper end, and to the floor in the bottom end. How I can build a door frame(jam) so I can attach the bifold closet door to it.
Thanx.

Old 10-17-00, 12:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Determine the rough-in height measurement (allow for finish casing thickness and bi-fold door clearance) required for your bi-folds, and frame it out with 2X4s on 16" centers above it. Build it on the floor, and nail it up to the ceiling joists (cut away the ceiling sheetrock first)and to the sides of the opening.
Drywall and finish taping over the new framing. Finish opening with 1X4s and molding around edges. Sand and paint.
Now you can install the upper strip of the bi-folds (centered) across the new opening. You can install the two bi-fold bottom brackets to the door frame and directly over your floor covering (carpet or whatever). These brackets have to be plumb under the overhead slide so that your doors will be plumb.
Good Luck!

Old 10-17-00, 04:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Read the installation instructions for the bi-fold doors and see what opening sizes (height and width) you need. Measure the opening sizes you now have. What sort of adjustments will you need to make to your current opening to give you the opening you need? Get back to us and we will help you out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: